- Apple TV (any generation)
- A router (for Method 1)
- A laptop (for Method 2)
Setup iProVPN on Apple TV – Method 1
This method requires you to install VPN on router.
Configuring VPN directly in the router enables the possibility to run any device with VPN protection. It does not require any app, so you simply have to connect the device to the router. The downside is that the setup process can be complicated for some users. Moreover, with VPN enabled, you cannot access a local network or access IoT devices remotely.
We have compiled a list of tutorials for various routers that you can visit here.
For routers that do not support VPN configuration, flashing DD-WRT firmware on the router is the next option. You can check if you router is compatible by visiting the link here.
Once iProVPN is up and running in the router, simply connect your Apple TV to the router.
Setup iProVPN on Apple TV – Method 2
This method requires that you have a Windows laptop and shares its VPN connection.
- Download iProVPN for Windows.
- Install the app.
- Launch the app and connect to any server. (preferably the USA server)
- Right-click on your internet connection icon and go to Open Network & Internet settings.
- Open Mobile Hotspot and turn the switch on. You can edit the SSID and password.
- Return to Network & Internet settings page and go to Changer Adapter Settings.
- Right-click on TAP Windows Adapter V9, click on Properties.
- Switch to the Sharing tab, check the Allow other network users to connect option and select your internet connection from the drop-down menu.
- On your Apple TV, select this SSID as your Wi-Fi connection and connect using the password you noted earlier.
Your Apple TV should now be working with the laptop’s VPN. You can also use a wired connection with the laptop or a PC that has one or more ethernet ports. There is also the possibility to using an ethernet dongle with the laptop to get better performance.